Saturday, August 6, 2011

Nicknames

I got a letter this week, from my Grandma Lloyd. It was great, even had some photos in it. My grandma is a pretty zany soul. When we were little, she had a nickname for each and every one of my cousins. But never for me and my siblings. It used to break my heart. I pretty much figured it was due to the fact that she did not care for us as much as the other grandkids. It also made me mad, because I was the oldest grandkid after all, so not only should I have a nickname, but I should have the BEST nickname. Turns out, I did! I was never comfortable asking my grandma about why my siblings and I had no nicknames. Part of being zany, meant that she could also be kinda frightening. But Karl did not understand this and right after we got married, he asked her why I had no nickname like all of my cousins. She told him that she had given me one, but my mom did not care for the whole nickname thing and asked grandma not to use them for her kids, but to please use the names we were given. Really?! My silly mother. Grandma then went on to explain that my nickname was "Gladiola" or "Glad" for short. She chose this name because Dr. Schoper, who delivered me, always won first prize at the county fair for his gladiolas. And she said that I was as pretty as a flower. Isn't that a great story!! I asked her to please start using this name for me. She then went on to give Karl a name (Spike...when he had hair...it was very problematic...) And she has used these names for Karl and I ever since and has subsequently named all of our children. I love this.

I have had a number of other nicknames throughout my life. And most of them were even positive. Interestinly enough, I have had a flower theme carry into other names. I had former boyfriends who called me "Sunflower" and "Forsythia" and even "Honeysuckle". I have also been known as Blossom and Rose by good friends. I think this is delightful.

But right now, aside from "Glad", I no longer really have any nicknames. All of the kids in my family and Karl do, in fact, they have a few, but I don't really have one. There is a reason for this, but I will not get into this here. And as my grandma is in her late 80's, I fear that "Glad" will not last long. This makes me sad. I think that nicknames are so important and are such a terrific way to make one feel loved. I love watching my kids faces when I use one of my pet names for them. Using those names just tell them that they are loved. Just like when I open up a letter from my grandma and read "Dear Glad". Nicknames are true terms of endearment. In fact, I even think that this is one of the reasons that Isaiah uses so many names for his Savior, he is trying to express his love.

So tonight, as I sit here with my letter from my Grandma, I am grateful for the nicknames that have been mine in my past and I pray that there will one day be terms of endearment ahead for me.

How about you? What names have made you feel loved, throughout your life?

6 comments:

  1. I call Olivia, "O", "Livvy", and several others. I call Brigham, "Brigs", "Brigham Poop" when he calls me Grandpa Poop, and Bubba. I call Beau, "Bugs" and "Beauster". But Carter does not want a nickname. He wants me to call him Carter. So I do. I call Jamee, "Kooker", Stevie, "Pooker", and Loni several things which she doesn't want published so I won't. I call Cindy "Hon".

    Other than the obvious Boppa Poopy, I don't have any. I've never really had any that I remember. My Mom used to call me Brian Murray Boyd when I was in trouble. Then Danny got old enough to get in trouble and so she would get mixed up and call him "Bri-Danny". Then Duane came along and brought the snakes into the house and other things, and she called him "Bri-Da-Duane". She would sometimes call Danny "Dwanny". And she finally resorted to calling me "You little pill!"

    I like nicknames and like to give them out, but I have found that most of the people I know don't like them. It's a sign of affection for me, but I'm learning that most of the people I know don't apparently like affection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if that is the case, then most of the people that you know are fools who do not realize how lucky they are, both to have you in their lives as well as one of your terms of affection. So there, you little pill!

    As for the trouble your mom used to have,, having three girls gave my dad the same kind of fits. He finally got to the point when he was just calling us, "1", "2" and "3". Not terribly affectionate, but pretty effective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrote a lengthy comment and it disappeared. I quit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You cannot even know how sad that makes me. Stupid technology.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmmm Nope I can't think of any nicknames. lol

    ReplyDelete