Sunday, July 11, 2010

Identity

I am struggling tonight. In my struggles I am pondering our identities and what creates an identity for each of us. A large part of the my identity was removed from me today. The congregation where I attend church was merged with another congregation. I am feeling lost. I am no longer a teacher of youth at church, Malachi is no longer a president of his youth quorum, and Conifer Ward no longer exists. A number of people keep telling me that this is no big deal, but it is to me and I am sick and tired of people telling me how I should feel.

So...identity...I am sitting here pondering all the various things that make up how I see myself. I wear a large number of hats and do a large number of things. Is this good? I don't know right now. I have spent the last couple of weeks studying the Psalms and I am going to use the message of those beautiful words carry me through my current feeling of loss and disconnect. And what is that message? That message is that my most basic identity is a child of God and I must put my trust in Him and that is what I have to lean on and hold to in the end. I am grateful for this and for good people who love me, even when I am an emotional boob.

No comments:

Post a Comment