Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day 2011 - Warning, this is a downer.

For years, I have struggled with those women why so vehemently hate Mother's Day. I have never understood this attitude. I love Mother's Day...or I did...Today I think I might get it, just a wee bit. It hardly felt right to celebrate being a mother today. I was too tired to drag myself out of bed this morning to attend church and I had a terrible time getting the kids up when I did finally arise and then we had some issues at our home because of irresponsibility on the part of my children. My husband is not here and that did not help. (Although he did write a small poem for me...can you imagine? KARL WROTE A POEM!! He hasn't done that since the day he asked me to marry him.) I have tried to take on a couple of large projects to surprise Karl with while he is away and I fear that they are just going to prove too much and he is going to return to a bigger mess. And there are a ton of people who need things from me and I do not know how to meet all that lies before me. Sigh. I should go to work on those projects now or study something to bring me out of this shlumpy place, but I think that I will just crawl down the hall to bed and put this day behind me.

3 comments:

  1. I don't think this is a downer at all. I did not enjoy Mother's Day either. A lot of women have problems admitting that their lives are less than perfect. I find this post a refreshing insight to a real mother's life. Being a mother is rewarding of course, but not every day is a golden one. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny. Many men hate Mother's Day, too, because we already never measure up to women's expectations, and Mother's Day just drives it home to everyone. So, you didn't make ME down. I was already there. But some of us, me included, tend to take on too many things to be successful at them and then abuse ourselves when we fail at them. Perhaps we should cut them in half and succeed at a few things, rather than flailing around at many. Remember what the Savior told the two servants in Matthew 25:21 and 23: "Thou hast been faithful over a FEW things, I will make thee ruler over MANY things." He told them both the exact same things, even though they had been faithful over a different number of things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Mandy, I love you! Thanks Beautiful One.

    Brian, you got a mouse in your pocket? Who is this "we"? Grrrr...fine....perhaps I do need to shave and/or whittle a bit. Dumb stoopidhead.

    ReplyDelete