Friday, November 15, 2013

Full Circle

I am elated. Something has occurred that I had never really thought about, but when it happened, it was powerful. I have now walked into the home of one of my children (of course, I do mean Michayla) and found a book on their shelves with which I was not familiar and yet was drawn to and I am now reading and gaining from this novel. I cannot tell you how much I love having this happen. I am not even certain that I can explain why it means so much, but it makes me feel as though I got through and taught her something.

The book I am referencing is titled "The Birchbark House" by Louise Erdrich. I have not finished it yet and I may feel differently when I do because I do not think that it is going to end well, but I am enjoying the journey. There have been a number of passages that I really appreciated but there was one in particular that gave me chills. It describes so perfectly exactly how I feel when I am having a moment of profound discovery or a spiritual epiphany. Here is the passage:

"Yes, there was something about what had happened that made Omakayas very quiet. As she worked, she began to get all empty and peculiar and faint inside. A thought was coming. A voice approached. This happened to her sometimes. A dizzy feeling would pass over her. If she attended to it closely, once it was gone she would know something a little extra, as though she'd overheard two spirits talking."

Young Omakayas then has a powerful spiritual moment in her life. I loved the way the author described that feeling that comes when the spirit of learning or discovery is so real it is nearly an entity.

And now...I cannot wait until the day that I can discuss this novel with Michayla. I am missing her so intensely right now even as I find myself growing daily more proud of her and all that she has and is accomplishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment