Thursday, September 15, 2011

My Identity

I cannot sleep. Yeah, I know, big surprise. But as I lay here, reviewing the day, and pondering all of the hats that I wear, I am trying to decide just what I am. I was up at 4:45 getting things and kids ready for the day and preparing to drive Malachi to seminary, I am an alarm clock and a taxi service. I spent the day pondering on the life and loss of dear friends. I am one who grieves. I prepared paperwork at the warehouse and met with the accountant. I am a business owner and bookkeeper. I taught/mentored young people today. I am a teacher and a mentor. I met an intriguing young man today at lunch and had a tremendous discussion on literature, music, and world views. I am a scholar. I received a fabulous, first of its kind piece of jewelry and got even more excited about upcoming events and opportunities for my friend Andy. I like to think I am a friend and, hopefully, a promoter. I had a number of Facebook, text, phone, and email exchanges, some serious, some silly, with people I love, even people who are as dear to me as family, who understand what I grieve and struggle with and vice versa. I am a confidante, no I am a giver and a taker, that is a better phrase. I received a request from another speech coach for a drama interp piece. I am a coach. (And, by the way, if any of you from Strasburg are reading this, I do have the piece and will get it to Ginia.) I returned to the warehouse, where I helped with computer stuff and aided Karl with some customer inquiries and phone calls. I am a wife. I am an IT guy. I checked out for a half hour on the couch in the back room to get ahead of a whopper of a headache. I am, occasionally, a migraine sufferer. I grumped about all that I had to do with anyone who would listen. I am a whiner. I can count, without much effort, 8 times today that I was asked about books or a piece of literature. I am a reader, nay, a book addict. I gave a lot of great advice and used a lot of good words today that I do not live by myself. I am a liar, a cheat, and a fraud. I made the decision to stay down at the warehouse with Malachi and Seviah tonight and so we giggled over food at Noodles and Company and then Red Boxed "Thor" (which I loved, even if I struggled to stay awake and alert). I am a mom. I am a movie freak. And now, I sit at the computer, desperate for the sleep that is eluding me. I am an insomniac. I have no good remedy for the insomnia, so I am going to wrap this up and try prayer. I am a daughter of God.

So...this is not all...but it is a good sampling. And how do I feel about all of these labels? Which one(s)come nearest to being my true identifier(s). If I had to prioritize these labels, how would that look? Which labels do I need to tweak? Which ones do I need to adjust? Which ones do I need to lose? This I do not know for sure but I needed to get this down on paper in order to clarify my mind enough to face these questions.

2 comments: