Sunday, June 26, 2011

Whew! Trying to keep up with a fast moving train of thought...

So, I cannot sleep. This means that I want to either eat (there is a canister of vinegar Pringles calling my name), watch a movie, read, or play on the computer. I chose to start by getting on the computer. This led to a series of thoughts that I am still trying to process, so I am going to write them down. Feel free to try and follow along, but my advice is to RUN LIKE THE WIND!!

Okay, so I get on the computer and I check the blogs that I follow and I see that my friend Terry has posted something new. I check it out. Terry makes me feel so inadequate, she is funny and FILLED with moxie and she is so REAL. She just returned from Nicaragua, where she used her skills as a nurse to bring comfort, medical attention and aid to those in need. And in her day to day life, she is an in home care nurse who deals regularly with the terminally ill. She and I only see each other during baseball season, but I am better for having known her and I love that I recently found her blog.

So, I am sitting here reading her blog and feeling like a lowlife for not charging forward and changing the world like Terry does. Then, I see that I have messages on Facebook and email and so I turn over to them. These messages are from young people whose lives I have been lucky enough to be a part of, for a short time. They are messages of thanks and humor and they make me smile and then tear up. I am so not worthy of these thanks. I am, in so many ways, a fraud and a hypocrite. This line of thinking makes me frustrated and agitated so I walked away from the computer, said a prayer, an admittedly angry prayer, and headed to my bookshelves. I pulled down the book that I am reading right now, for the third time, Brooding by Andy Williamson (great book, I recommend it VERY highly). I start reading where I left off, reluctantly, because I am a place in the story when something hard to take is about to happen and I know it is coming. But then I read the following line, "Tyler also knew - despite his own anger and bitterness at the Lord - that he had just been used by Him to help this lost girl find her way. This fact greatly humbled Tyler and shook him to the center of his being." Oh...yeah...

As I sat there considering this sentence, I was suddenly reminded of something that ugly little dude that so often pops into my head said, yep, Socrates. I pull down Plato off the shelf and start searching for what is niggling at the back of my mind and I finally locate it in "Apology". The quote is as follows, "The greatest way to live with honor in this world is to be what we pretend to be."

Oh, okay...I get it, God. I need to find the humility to realize that as broken and twisted and screwed up as I often am, I can still be an instrument for You. I can find honor in being what I pretend to be and what I want to be, even if I am not perfect at it. And in so doing, I can do some good and I can be an instrument.

I offered words, along the lines of that previous paragraph in a much less angry prayer and felt that familiar tug of the spirit to return to the book I was reading. I started flipping through the pages and came across a passage that I had marked that lit up like a neon sign. These are the words that God offers to the heart of one of the characters in the book. "Do not confuse your perception of yourself with how I perceive you. Don't confuse my love for you with your fickle love for Me. I love you as you are - not as you should be. Accept the fact that you are accepted. You are my beloved child. I delight in you. Trust me."

Whoa...now there are real tears, the good kind...I love these kinds of processes where I can see connections and move from anger and agitation to feeling loved and of worth. Of late, feeling that kind of worth has been difficult for me and so I appreciate, with all of my heart, the peace that is mine, at this moment. Now...I think I can sleep...

5 comments:

  1. (I've had troubles posting comments before...use my phone most days, and it gets hung up. :) I've been touched by your blog before but unable to express it.)

    So to my point: I quite often feel like a fraud, a failure, only a shadow if what I'm supposed to be. Reading your words today was immensely helpful. In addition to the everyday questions of "am I really fulfilling my calling?", I'm being challenged by the behaviour of my oldest child. The other day I truly felt she would be better off in a different family where a mom could figure out how to help her. :(


    We had neglected our bible studies and getting back yesterday am we studied Proverbs 3:11-12. We discussed that parents who love their children teach them how to behave and follow God. It was a random page in one if my prayer books for my children.
    I forget that when you start your day with God, He leads the way. When you neglect Him, you can quite easily go astray. We had a really good day yesterday.
    And I felt less like a big failure because I did what God wants: start and end our day with Him.

    Thank you for your wisdom, and for having a kindred spirit that seems to know how to fill mine at a time of great need. :). Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate you for all the good you do for me. I was fortunate to have you as a leader in my youth, when I was snotty. Now I am fortunate to be able to read your words of wisdom and find comfort and strength in them. You are an instrument in His hands, helping me from many miles away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen to the above, and a great big welcome to Cynthia as we are in this group together, whether we know it or not..knew I was nothing without the Lord from a very tender age and that has made those feelings less sharp, though they come time and time again to nudge methe direction HE wants me to be. In scripture, God is always asking His people to be exceptional; in faith, in belief, in trusting Him, and it's LIFE or DEATH things, not "someone has hurt my feelings" stuff. Though important (our feelings) it is mostly us thinking about ourselves. I love that you have a yearning to save the world...and traveling, having skills medical where you can see results physically and in some cases in hours, is really something wonderful. No less important is the healer of the heart, mind and spirit, and those that can help others (especially the young) in their journey and to lead them to have their own relationship with God and His Word is magnificent indeed. Or opening theind to great works and self-discovery. The results are not immediate nor always obvious or even sometimes very discouraging but always an amazing gift, nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cynthia,
    Thanks for the kudos but really...we are all in it together. I admire the boldness of your words and your willingness to run to the word of God instead of thinking you can just do things by yourself. Listen, we do what we can do and I believe that God shows us if we have open eyes and ears. Sometimes I am as deaf and blind as can be. Thanks for writing...isn't it fun? Take care and I hope to see you guys on the ballfield.
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does it make sense to know that you are not alone in being a sometime fraud, hypocrite, and faux Christian and Latter Day Saint? I know that sounds perhaps odd, but I find comfort in knowing that others are sometimes as miserable about themselves as I am about me. It makes want to put my arms around their shoulders and tell them I love them and that it's going to be ok. Even the Savior of the world, asked to be exempted from his suffering, but then gave into his Father's will on the Garden, and then on the cross, just before successfully completing his mission to save us, he succombed, I believe, for just a moment to despair when he cried out, "My God, my God! Why hast THOU forsaken me!?" [caps mine]. I love him for knowing how I feel sometimes. Thanks for the insight in this essay of yours.

    ReplyDelete