Tuesday, January 26, 2016

God without qualifiers

Each day as I drive to and from my favourite meditation place I pass a church that has a sign out front that states the following "OUR GOD IS AWESOME". Every time I see this I find myself wanting to stop and rip off the word "our" and run away. I have not really stopped to think about why until it struck me today after a powerful, loving, and moving meditation. While I am quite certain that the "our" is inclusive and not meant to exclude others, it could be taken that way and I hate that thought. If an "our" is placed in front of God then it can be understood that there is a corresponding "your" or "their" God. It hit me that this is part of the world's ongoing religious struggle. We keep trying to qualify God but the Being that I worship is not to be qualified. The powerful affirmation that I received in my meditation today indicated to me that I am a treasure. I believe that this affirmation came from God and I believe that the same affirmation can be applied to every soul that lives, has lived, or ever will live on the earth. God. Is. Awesome.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that the possessive God is somewhat questionable. This is God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I obviously need to spend more time meditating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I agree completely, let it be said that not all gods are created equal. If someone driving by thinks to themselves, "Hmm. I'm not sure that my god is awesome", it could lead to a journey of discovery in which they meet the One True God. =)

    ReplyDelete