Saturday, October 19, 2013

Generational memories

I came home over these past couple of weeks. There is no other way to describe it. Even Cardiff had a sense of this, even if that was not necessarily a positive thing. I have always toyed with the idea of genetic memory being carried down somehow through the brains of our ancestors into our brains, but now I believe. And I am grateful. It is a powerful sense of wholeness to come to a place where you have never been and feel as though you belong.

And when you consider the vast amount of generations that have gone before this generation that walks the earth now, it is stunning to consider what memories you may carry forward in your brain. I think that this is why we are here now. I do not believe that this is an accident. With memories comes connection and I believe that we have the opportunity to be more connected to the earth and its places than any people who have ever lived. We have been blessed to love places and peoples and cultures on a level that should make us want to have peace and be connected. And we should feel passionate about this, so many have gone before to open up this gift to you. So...what are you going to do about it? What are you going to do to learn to recognize your connection to the past people and places and then what are you going to do to work to preserve what is important and needs to be carried beyond you?

I know that when I sat and wrote and wrote and wrote in that spooky churchyard the other night, I came to know part of what I need to do. I challenge others to seek out the places of memory for their brain and also set goals to make a difference for that place or people. Let me know your stories of trying this challenge, please.

1 comment:

  1. I have definitely felt that possible genetic buildup myself. I longed for a sense of home in trees, and didn't find it until I was back east in Massachusetts. I also felt a sense of "coming home" when I visited the Scottish Highlands. Definitely have some of that in my blood.

    ReplyDelete