Friday, February 10, 2012

Secret Languages

Today, two people that I love came very close to calling me an "oompah loompah". It was all in jest, of course, and I am certain that seems to be no big deal to you. However, that name is the worst of all possible monikers as designated between me and another close friend. It was a word we use to describe the few people that we hate and still smile. This got me to thinking tonight about the secret languages that I share with those with whom I have close relationships. As I started to catalog some of these "secret" words in my head, I realized that I have a large number of them and this made me smile. As I took this thought process even deeper, I realized that the use of this kind of "secret language" helps to provide the intimacy that I so often crave. Such words shared between friends and loved ones gives a sense of belonging and comaraderie. I need this in my life. I am certain that all people do, but I am so all about the connections in my life that these words are sweet tokens of that closeness and kinship.

Words are so incredibly important to me. My love language is "words of affirmation". My entire day, and beyond, can be altered by a single word. Is that bad? Do I need to adjust a bit? I often get hurt by words as much as I get lifted by them. I see language as an entity. I konw that sounds very strange, but I do. I realized this today when my friend Brian posted today about speaking Swedish with a couple that he ran across today. I saw the Swedish language as an entity, a friend that Brian has not been able to engage with in a long time and I was so happy that he was able to bring that friend of his out and embrace her again. (Yes, languages are usually female, except for Russian and German and a couple of Slavic languages...oh, and Latin...that is definitely a guy.)

So...as if y'all did not already think I was weird, I am certain that I just sealed the deal. But I am grateful for words and language and the intimacy and connection I have with those I love from the special and even secret words that we share. I am grateful that no matter how low I may get, I have an entire library of words that I can turn to and find comfort and strength and connection with people who understand, even if they are long since dead. (Thus my anger with Socrates. The nerve of that man to deny me his words, from his own hand! What a self righteous jerk. I cannot wait to say that to his face.)

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God." Even defines himself as The Word. Yep, even He understood the importance of language in our lives. And as I pondered this tonight, I realized that I would like to have a few more "secret" words with my God. I realized that I would like that kind of intimacy with Him. I think I did have just that once, but I have moved away from Him of late and I need to reconnect and that means I gotta find the right words to offer Him.

I am afraid that my words are the best thing that I have to give anyone, from God on down. So, whoever you are, if anyone is even reading this, please know that the words I give to you are never given lightly. I consider every word, especially those I write. Perhaps this is why I love Facebook so much. I am much better on paper than in person!!

5 comments:

  1. A word of advice: a word in the hand is two in the bush. Remember, Little Miss Muffet sat on her tuffet eating her words. There are band geeks and there are word nerds: We are word nerds (lies do not become us). If I had my choice, I guess, being a guy, I'd rather be verdant than a word aunt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, as one of your militant sycophants, I cannot be ambivalent or inelegant. I must deem you a confident descendant of enchant(ing) transplants.

      Delete
  2. You do just fine in person, my darling friend. My written words are always carefully crafted. Nothing ever leaves my stylus, pen or keyboard without careful consideration of how it will affect everyone that will be reading it. I can be as cutting and cruel as someone else's words drive me to be. Or I can lift or console. I can express my love or my tears...

    My written words cannot be misunderstood and I know they have been read by my intended audience.

    What I want is to know is that when the words leave my mouth someone is actually listening to them instead of talking over them or formulating their reply without actually hearing me speak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is why I would rather deal on paper with people. Because then I do not have to guess if they heard or if they are listening. ANd I never get hurt. In other words, I am a total coward! You however, are courageous and strong. And I appreciate your example in my life.

      Delete
  3. Cynthia, words do matter, so as a favor to me, please stop using negative language about yourself. Love you.

    I am a different person when I write than in person. My words become a knife that I hope cannot be misunderstood. There is the point, right there.

    ReplyDelete