Saturday, April 30, 2011

The American Pastime





I saw, in action today, what makes baseball and America great, at least for me. It is a game for all. Even I have played softball, catching with my worn out knees and loving every minute of it. But today I saw such beauty in the game and what it offers. I was attending a doubleheader for my son Malachi's team and then music started playing and people began cheering on an adjacent field. I walked over. There were a large group of people dancing and clapping and there were these children. Some of the most beautiful spirits you could ever hope to meet. And they were in uniform and they were so excited. You see, it was opening day for The Challengers, the handicapped league, formed a few years back by some great folks at Northern Lights. I watched for awhile and took a bunch of photos, three of which I posted here. Then I sought out a leader, because I wanted to know more. I learned that they began this league with 16 youth and now have 69 participants on 5 teams. I watched this man's face as he talked about this program and what it has meant for his child and for others and I saw mission. I love seeing mission. I got his information. Karl and my boys will be volunteering for this group, there is much need. My favorite photo above is the one with the young, able bodied boy, pitching to one of the young ladies on the league. The participants were enjoying themselves but the able bodied volunteers were lit up. It was glorious. My favorite moment of the day? A young man who was wheelchair bound got a hit and began making his slow way around the bases. An impaired young man got up behind, a large youth, and he connected and had a beautiful hit. He started around the bases and very quickly passed the wheelchair bound teammate. He got to third, realized what he had done and made a large circle to return to the teammate, asked permission, and pushed him so that they crossed home plate together. Yes, for those who know and tease me so often, I was crying. Best day of baseball I have experienced in years.

No comments:

Post a Comment