Friday, September 17, 2010

Organizations

I helped to lead a discussion on the book and concepts of the book QBQ or the Question Behind the Question yesterday. I had one large disconnect with the author of the book going into that discussion. I did not agree with his idea that with organizations in our lives we must "believe or leave". That seemed to be a loser attitude to me. I stated this in our discussion. The people in the group did not agree with me. We spent a great deal of time in our discussion having the others explain their reasons for agreeing with the author. I listened carefully to their arguments and have been mulling them over ever since. Tonight I went to an activity for our church and I sat there realizing that this was an organization that I did not believe in. I believe in the doctrine, but not in this particular organization. But is this an organization that I could leave? No, I cannot simply leave. So...what I am supposed to do about this? That is the question that I wrestle with tonight. Based on the concepts of QBQ, I need to take ownership and personal responsibility. So tonight this is my dilemma.

3 comments:

  1. Well, Cynthia, what an excellent discussion. Since I wrote QBQ! I'd say either we believe in where we work, play, or worship and stay with no whining and complaining, asking "What can I do to contribute?" - or we get out!!! That's all "Believe or Leave" means! Hope you pick up the Flipping the Switch book now! Blessings. John G. Miller, John@QBQ.com, www.QBQ.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Good job to elicit a comment from the author of one of the greatest books in the world. It has changed my life. I'm still not going to quit my job or my church or my family because things don't always go my way, or because some things will not change no matter how much I try to change them, but I'm much happier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow indeed! Thank you, so much, Mr. Miller. I am working hard to make a concerted effort to make a positive change in my church group and I think that I can come to believe in it, provided I do my part.

    Just as my friend Brian, your book has fostered huge change for me and I was so grateful to use it as a book discussion for my parent's group that is associated with my school.

    I have picked up "Flipping the Switch" and cannot wait to sink my teeth into this latest offering.

    ReplyDelete