Tuesday, August 6, 2013

An interesting story that always makes me think

One of my heroes is Glikl of Hamburg, a Jewish merchant woman who lived and wrote an incredible journal in the late 1600's. Here is one of my favorite stories from her journals. Scholars call this story the antithesis of King Lear, which is one more reason that it intrigues me. I would love to hear thoughts on what you think of this and what you think that Glikl was trying to say to her children with this story. Thanks for reading and have a great day.



IN THE LAST DECADE of the seventeenth century-the year 5451 by the Jewish reckoning- a Jewish merchant woman of Hamburg wrote down a story for her many children. It told of a father bird who lived with his three fledglings along a seashore. One day a fierce storm came up, sending huge waves over the sands. "If we cannot get to the other side at once we are lost," said the bird, and took the first fledgling into his claws and started over the sea. Halfway across, the parent said to his son, "What troubles I have to stand from you! And now I'm risking my life-strength for you. When I am old, will you also do good to me and support me?" The little bird replied, "My dear beloved father, just take me across the water. I will do for you in your old age all that you want of me." Whereupon the parent dropped the birdling into the sea and said, "So should be done with a liar like you."

The parent bird flew back for the second fledgling and halfway across said to it the same words. The little bird promised to do for him all the good in the world. Again the father dropped his young into the sea, saying, "You, too, are a liar." Carrying the third birdling across the water, he asked the same question. The little bird answered , "Father, dear father, all that you say is true, that you have had troubles and grief because of me. I am duty bound to repay you, if it is possible; but I cannot promise for certain. This, however, I can promise: when one day I have young children of my own, I will do for them as you have done for me." At this, the father said, "You speak aright and are also clever. I will let you live and will take you across the water."'

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps it's an acknowledgement of the cycles and inequalities of life. I think it is very rare that someone has an opportunity to actually "pay back" anyone else. However life is full of opportunities to "pay it forward." If we will stop keeping score and simply accept help when we need it and give help where we can, I think we'd all be better (and happier) for it.

    ReplyDelete