Thursday, March 31, 2011

Judgement

Okay, anyone who reads this knows that I am not perfect. I am very far from it. That being said, I have to get some frustrations off my chest (as it were). I am so tired of people who put on such a good face and act as though they are good followers of Christ and act in Christ's name, but that love only applies to a certain kind of people. I see so many that I love being hurt by this kind of behavior and it just makes me want to explode. Now I am not saying that we must embrace every person that comes across our path as though they were our brother or sister, but we do need to be open and allow ourselves to appreciate those who are not exactly like us. We are told to use good judgement in those we share our lives with, but we are also told not to judge. There is not such a fine line between these two things as some would have me believe. It is very simple. The Spirit whispers to help offer good judgment, Satan is the author of judging. And even when we must use good judgement and create some distance between us and a person who may cause us damage, this can be done with a non-judgemental approach, and that person can still feel as though they are loved. I love the way that Marvin J. Ashton said it, "If the adversary can influence us to pick on each other, to find fault, bash, and undermine, to judge or humiliate or taunt, half his battle is won. Why? Because though this sort of conduct may not equate with succumbing to grievous sin, it nevertheless neutralizes us spiritually. The Spirit of the Lord cannot dwell where there is bickering, judging, contention, or any kind of bashing." I love this! He also said, "None of us need one more person bashing or pointing out where we have failed or fallen short. Most of us are already well aware of the areas in which we are weak. What each of us does need is family, friends, employers, and brothers and sisters who support us, who have the patience to teach us, who believe in us, and who believe we're trying to do the best we can, in spite of our weaknesses. What ever happened to giving each other the benefit of the doubt? What ever happened to hoping that another person would succeed or achieve? What ever happened to rooting for each other?" I am especially taken by that last line. I truly love rooting for all the people in my life. I am nothing more than a past-her-prime, overweight, cheerleader. Does this mean that I sometimes get disappointed and even hurt? Of course it does. But there is one thing that I have truly gained a testimony of, in the recent years of my life. God will make up the difference. He will help to absorb the disappointment and pain, if I am trying hard to truly love. I ache tonight as I send messages out to some that I love who are being hurt by gossip and intolerance and very harsh judgements from others. I ache and I beg, in my prayers that I can have charity. Especially the charity defined by Elder Ashton, "Charity is expecting the best of each other."

6 comments:

  1. oh yeah this bad habit has been on my mind recently as well. It seems people don't realize how great an impact their words can have on another person. Sometimes I catch myself judging someone else, but mostly it's because of my own insecurities.
    Have you ever noticed that the people who are happiest with their lives never say offhanded things about others? Maybe once we've truly accepted ourselves we can be more compassionate towards others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I THINK YOU HIT IT RIGHT ON THE HEAD!! A man that I respect once said, "The more perfect one becomes, the less he is inclined to speak of the imperfections of others." I think this is so true. I also believe that the greater minds talk about ideas and the lesser minds speak about people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must be getting old. Even I am being nicer to people. I work with a young man who is just like I was five years ago. I see him slowly changing and being kinder and more fun to be around, and I am making him my sidekick without him knowing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mellowing like a fine wine, or cheese, take your pick. It is all good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have noticed (in my little experience) that most of the time something that irritates you about someone is something that they are well aware of and don't like about themselves as well. To hold that against them would be the exact opposite of rooting for them.

    I always try to think: "What if something I didn't like about myself was something that others noticed and actually held against me?"

    That really helps me to not do it to others.

    I love your writing!

    Jamee
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. An intriguing twist to the Golden Rule, Jamee! I love it. You are so correct, I desperately want others to view me most often through the lens of my gifts and strengths. But I better be desperate enough to view them the same way...thanks for putting that in my head.

    ReplyDelete